background

Monday, April 25, 2011

Labor and Delivery and so much more

Anthony and I were over at his dad's house on Sunday April 3. We were all sitting around the kitchen table chatting about random things. All of a sudden I felt myself leaking (not a pleasant feeling haha). I went to the bathroom and I thought that my water was going to break. I told Anthony we needed to go, so we jumped in the car and a minute later my water full on broke! Yes, I drove myself to the hospital! We got to the hospital at 8:30pm, and labor started at about 9:00pm. I had contractions for an hour and a half before wussing out and opting for the epidural. I don't know how I thought I could do it without! Bless the epidural! I labored for 7 hours, pushed for 45 minutes, and as soon as the baby was out the nurse said, "SHE is a HE!" I couldn't believe it, and I am pretty sure I was in shock for a good while. Anthony jumped up and down, I cried, my mom gasped, the doctor laughed! I had two ultrasounds both verifying that I was having a girl. Not so! I think I mourned the loss of what I thought would be my "daughter" for point 2 seconds. As soon as I saw my son, I couldn't believe how perfect he was and how I instantly loved him. The nurses took Liam to clean him up and the doctor noticed that his breathing didn't sound right. They immediately called in the respiratory therapist and said that Liam would need to go to the NICU. I got to hold the little guy for 30 seconds before they whisked him away. I didn't get to see him for 7 more hours. Anthony was able to talk to doctors and get updates. His little lungs were having a hard time circulating the air, so they hooked him t0 machines and pushed oxygen through him to help develop his lung's capacity to breathe the air.
First time I held him:)


Isn't this the saddest picture? Poor baby was hooked up to a breathing machine and did not like it. The doctor said Liam already had spunk because he kept spitting out the breathimg tube and was doing things his way.


The doctor finally cleared him to go to the Well Baby nursery after 7 hours of being monitored, so I was finally able to see him and hold him. I am so thankful for modern medicine and technology that help babies like Liam get well. Because Anthony and I were expecting a girl, we had no idea what to name our son. It wasn't until the last day in the hospital that we decided on Liam:)






At this point Anth and I were up for 48 hours without sleep!




Here we are, happy family of 3!! Anthony and I are in love with Liam, and we cannot imagine not having HIM as our child. He is such a sweet baby and he brings us so much happiness.

4 comments:

  1. ooooh you guys he is SOOOOOOOOOOOO cute. so tiny and cute!!!! Oh I wish I was there so I could hold him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's soooo cute!! Glad to see you back in the blogging world. I'm glad he's doing better and I hope you're all catching up on sleep. Let me know if you need a nap sometime or want somebody to hang out with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! He is so very, very cute. What a surprise, though! I hope you are feeling well and enjoying your little baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is so adorable! Congratulations! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete