background

Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Trip to the Museum of Art

I went to the BYU Museum of Art this week. They have so many neat exhibits, and I love the environment there. It was nice to be back on campus--it's been nearly 4 years since I graduated from BYU. The MOA had several exhibits to look at, and the one that I thought was wonderful was by an artist named Adam Bateman. He focused his art on communication and language. My favorite piece of art was called "The Fourth Thousand Years." It is a giant book sculpture, made up of hundreds of thousands of books stacked together; a sculpture so heavy, the museum had to reinforce its floors for extra support. The local paper said, "With the help of museum assistants, building the 14-foot tall, 83,000-pound sculpture took about 600 hours. The books were carefully stacked and are held by gravity only; something Bateman said is only possible through following strict parameters of stacking and using plenty of experimentation and faith."

I didn't know you're not allowed to take pictures (oops!), but I did sneak a few before a museum employee told me not to.






If you live close by then you should definitely visit the museum and take a look at this exhibit. It ends on November 26. The pictures do not do it justice.

1 comment:

  1. haha that is so hilarious...and that is CRAZY how many books that is?!?! holy smokes.

    ReplyDelete